Chicago has put a special emphasis on stopping heroin trafficking, with several undercover operations like Operation Monticello’s Revenge on the Northwest Side of Chicago. From January 2017, there were approximately 2,424 narcotics-related local arrests made by the Chicago Police Department. Heroin charges in Illinois fall into three categories: possession, selling, and manufacturing/ trafficking. If you are facing heroin charges in Chicago, hiring an experienced criminal defense lawyer can ensure the best outcome for your case.
The penalties for crimes involving heroin can be severe and vary widely, depending on how much heroin is involved. Federal laws may also apply to your case. You may be sentenced to a prison sentence of 6 years to 60 years, and pay fines up to $500,000.Below are five reasons you need a criminal defense attorney following an Illinois heroin arrest:
- Your Lawyer Can Explain the Legal Process For You
- Your Lawyer Can Ensure No Deadlines Are Missed
- Your Lawyer Can Help You Consider All Options
- Your Lawyer Can Handle Negotiations / Discussions with Prosecution
- Your Lawyer Can Save You Money