Arkady Bukh: Top Federal Criminal Defense Lawyer in Brooklyn NY
Our legal system has two levels: state law and federal law. While local jurisdictions (which are usually the first to handle state criminal matters) work with the state of New York and will charge you under state law, the federal legal system differs with the state law system. The federal legal system has different courts, prosecutors and rules.
Federal criminal charges in Brooklyn can be similar to state charges, but are generally rarer and more serious.
Most people are familiar with the state courts, which handle traffic tickets, divorces and wills as well as crimes that are a violation of state law. By contrast, federal courts handle violations of federal criminal law, which includes laws against organized crime, international drug trafficking, tax violations, immigration violations and more.
New York State vs. Federal Crimes
Most crimes are state crimes; in order for a crime to be charged federally, it must involve a violation of the Constitution or federal statutes, and will therefore often be a more serious crime.
Below is a general overview of criminal offenses governed by federal law.
- Counterintelligence Crimes – These federal offenses include threats to national security and economic espionage.
- Computer Crimes – These federal offenses include access device fraud (e.g., credit card and ATM fraud), computer fraud, injuring or damaging communication systems operated or controlled by the United States government, damaging communication systems used by military or civil defense functions for the federal government, intercepting communications (wire, oral or electronic), unauthorized access to stored communications, and/or disclosure of the contents of communications and customer records.
- Crimes Against Children – These federal offenses include child abductions, domestic and international parental kidnappings, sexual exploitation of children, interstate transportation of obscene material, online child pornography, physical/sexual abuse of a child on a government reservation, National Sex Offender Registry matters and violations of the Child Support Recovery Act.
- Cyber Crimes – The array of offenses that are categorized as a federal cyber offense include phishing, spoofed or hijacked accounts, international re-shipping schemes, digital extortion, auction fraud, credit card fraud, hacking, international money laundering, identity theft, pirating (software, music and movies), online child pornography and child exploitation and obscenity;
- Federal Civil Rights Violations – These offenses include hate crimes, Color of Law/Police Misconduct, Involuntary Servitude/Slavery (ISS) and Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances (FACE).
- Gun Crimes – You can be charged by the federal government for the following types of gun-related offenses: possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, possession by an illegal alien, and “unlicensed” possession of a firearm that requires a license (e.g., a machine gun).
- Immigration crimes -These federal offenses include illegal re-entry, smuggling illegal aliens, harboring illegal aliens and immigration fraud.
- Import and export crimes – The following offenses are considered import-export crimes: smuggling goods into Brooklyn or elsewhere in the United States, entry of goods by means of false statements, importation or exportation of stolen property, failure to declare imported goods to customs, aiding unlawful importation and exportation of arms or munitions of war.
- Organized Crime – Offenses considered to be under the umbrella of organized crime include Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) offenses, drug trafficking (drug cartel or drug kingpin) and crimes involving well-entrenched organizations such as La Cosa Nostra and Italian Organized Crime, Russian/Eurasian Organized Crime, Nigerian Criminal Enterprises, and Asian Criminal Enterprises.
- Tax crimes – Offenses under the Internal Revenue Code include tax evasion, tax fraud, and public corruption tax crimes.
- White collar crimes – Examples of white collar crimes include antitrust violations, environmental regulatory violations, financial institution fraud, governmental fraud, health care fraud, Internet computer crime, insurance fraud, money laundering, securities and commodities fraud and telemarketing fraud.
Do Not Fight This Battle Alone
If you or a family member was charged with a federal crime, or believe that you may be charged with a federal crime, it is crucial to consult with an experienced federal crimes defense lawyer in Brooklyn as soon as possible. If you are convicted of a federal charge, you could be looking at strict penalties, some of which may include large fines and lengthy stays in prison.
This is why it makes sense to have a seasoned defense lawyer on your side. They can help level the proverbial playing field, especially against a federal prosecutor who spends their days trying to convict defendants.
Working with an experienced Federal criminal lawyer in Brooklyn
When facing a federal crime, you need an experienced federal defense attorney who can effectively defend your rights in court.
Legal Help Available
"Arkady Bukh has long track record of representing client in NYC"
"Your Go to lawyer in these unprecedented Times"
At Bukh & Associates, we approach every case with the realization that the person we’re defending could easily be one of our own family members. We’ve seen firsthand how stressful legal matters can be for our clients and their loved ones. We are committed to being available to our clients at all times – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. If you or someone you love is facing federal charges in New York, you should call Bukh & Associates today for a free evaluation of your case. Call (718) 376-4766.
Bukh & Associates, PLLC, have tried thousands of cases involving serious federal and international criminal offenses. Arkadiy Bukh has unparalleled experience with federal criminal defense involving some of the highest profile cases around the world.