Healthcare Fraud Defense Lawyers in Brooklyn NY
In the blink of an eye, your reputation could be irreparably damaged, you livelihood could be put at risk, and your freedom may be lost for an extended period of time.
Both New York State and the federal government take healthcare fraud claims (e.g., Medicare fraud) very seriously. This is because an estimated $60 billion of taxpayer funds are lost each year due to healthcare fraud. As a result, government entities are throwing the book at defendants in an effort to recoup those funds.
What Exactly is Healthcare Fraud?
Healthcare fraud is a very broad term that can cover an array of activities. One of the most common forms of fraud is Medicare fraud. Examples of Medicare fraud include the following:
- Double Billing – When there are two claims submitted to Medicare for the same service.
- Excessive Testing or Procedures That Lacked Medical Necessity – If a test and/or service are not necessary and given in an effort to submit a larger claim, then this is considered a fraudulent act.
- Phantom Billing – When a bill is submitted for a test or service that was not actually performed.
- Pharmaceutical Fraud – This is a general term that includes receiving financial kickbacks from a pharmaceutical company, price fixing, using off-label marketing, etc.
- Inflating a Bill Due to Upcoding – Medical bills submitted to Medicare usually contain “Current Procedural Terminology” (CPT) codes. The practice of “upcoding” occurs when two or more of the same CPT codes are submitted together to inflate the total bill.
Healthcare Fraud Penalties
If you are convicted of one, or more, of the offenses listed above, do not expect leniency from the government. In many instances, the government will try to make an example of you in an effort to deter others from committing similar fraudulent activities. An overview of just some of the penalties associated with healthcare fraud include:
- Criminal sanctions, including up to five years in prison
- Criminal fines up to $250,000.
- Civil fines up to $50,000
- Exclusion from federal health care programs. If you are subjected to exclusion, you would be prevented from directly billing Medicare for any items or services.
Choosing the Right Healthcare Fraud Lawyer Is Extremely Important
One of the most important factors that can make a big difference between winning or losing your case is the healthcare fraud lawyer you hire. If you were charged with defrauding the government, be prepared for a major fight. Do not attempt to handle such charges on your own. The Bukh Law Firm can help you protect your rights each step of the way.
Our team of experienced Brooklyn healthcare fraud defense attorneys will aggressively fight on your behalf. We understand and appreciate the fact that these are trying times and you want to clear your name. Our objective is to get these charges cleared and you can continue to run your business without issue.
Who Our Brooklyn Healthcare Law Defense Attorneys Represent Day In and Day Out
- Doctors, medical clinics and hospitals
- Durable medical equipment (DME) providers
- Home health care companies and their nurses and personal care attendants
- AIDS infusion therapy clinics
- Medical billing and coding companies
The federal government is vigilant in trying to catch institutions it suspects of health care fraud, Medicare fraud or Medicaid fraud. The federal government thoroughly researches its health care fraud cases.
If you are being investigated or are under indictment, you need an attorney with a proven record of successfully defeating federal charges. The Bukh Law Firm, PLLC has gained acquittals in well-known federal cases for clients.
Take Action Today – Contact the Bukh Law Firm
If you or your company is facing criminal charges of health insurance fraud or Medicare or Medicaid fraud, contact the Bukh Law Firm, PLLC today. Our practice is Brooklyn NY, and our attorneys speak fluent Polish, Spanish, Russian, and of course, English. Our team of legal professionals are here to help.
The Bukh Law Firm is unique because we’re not just a group of attorneys, paralegals and law consultants. We’re a cohesive team of professionals focused on meeting our client’s specific needs. Whether you were accused of healthcare fraud or are under investigation for healthcare fraud, we can help.